Sunday, January 28, 2007

(nearly) Fetching ...


Since Ann Hood was doing a reading and book signing of her novel The Knitting Circle yesterday (see earlier post for my thoughts on this book), it was a wonderful two-fer: books and yarn. Despite my yarn resolve for the new year, I succumbed to the sale price of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino. I recalled it was the yarn used in Knitty’s Fetching fingerless glove pattern, and bought several colors. At one pair of gloves/skein and $6/skein, I was happily planning the gift gloves I’d be making between now and next Christmas. I smiled to myself as I imagined how very cool my nieces would think me when I presented them with these gloves. All was well until I went home and checked the pattern: it calls for Aran weight and my sale yarn is dk weight. I’m knitting up a pair, to see if one skein will be enough to complete a set, while I tell myself that my version will be Lightweight Fetching, primarily for indoor use. Then again, I recall that they had the aran weight on sale as well. I suspect I’ll be back at the store onTuesday, digging through the aran weight basket for neat colors…….as I think about it, I don’t need to wait until Christmas, for those gloves would make a perfect small gift for lots of people right now. Hmmm…..the friend who is feeling a bit blue, my daughter who spends so many hours in her cold room doing homework, and on and on and on….

No comments: